Hostos CC English Department Community Site

Current Events Assignment

Task: Come into class with a recent story in the news that you feel will stimulate debate among your peers.  Do not simply read the article aloud.  Instead, summarize its contents and then pose three questions for the class.  The night before you present, e-mail me your article and questions.

Purpose: This assignment allows all of us to stay abreast of the news in the world while applying essential argumentative tactics to a wide variety of subjects, preparing you for the type of academic moves you will be making in your papers.

Audience: Someone who has not read this story and is unfamiliar with its context

Format: Informal class presentation.  You may remain at your desk and I would prefer if you did not speak from a prepared text.

Evaluative Criteria: You will receive full marks for this assignment so long as you complete all of its components: (1) the selection of a summary of an article, (2) three questions for the class, and (3) an email to me the night before.

Sources: You may use newspapers (such as The New York Times), popular journals (such as Newsweek), academic journals (such as the American Journal of Political Science), and network—not cable—television news (such as NBC Nightly News).  Any use of blogs or other unedited internet content must be approved by me ahead of time.