Hostos CC English Department Community Site

Purposeful posting: building robust discussion forums

Robust discussion forums can increase usefulness of informal writing assignments in sections with diverse student needs and across modalities. Students post for classmates to read and discuss in asynchronous, synchronous, and in-person classes. Posting for classmates encourages students to review the variety of approaches they could take to a formal assignment. Reviewing responses together encourages thoughtful preparation of posts and revision of written work for use in formal graded assignments.

Below as an example is one formal graded assignment with three related informal assignments students post to their discussion forum. Students share as they practice selecting and formatting passages to quote; developing and explaining examples; then connecting examples back to the topic. Examples from student forum contributions demonstrate how review of these reinforces use-value of informal writing while sparking wider discussion of ideas and examples.

____________________________________________________________

Goals for informal writing posted to discussion forums

• Develop approaches to expanding and explaining ideas; 
  • Practice skills and concepts; 
  • Begin assignments in advance; 
  • Share ideas and approaches; 
  • Receive intervention and feedback; 
  • Create writing communities and develop wider readership.

Methods

• Informal writing and forums directly connect to formal writing assignments; 
  • Student responses to prompts and classmates are substantial pieces of informal writing; 
  • Expectations clarified with rubrics and examples, with credit awarded only for satisfactory attempts. See guides to etiquette (link here) and writing effective discussion posts (link here)
  • Forum prompts designed to elicit creative responses, so that each offers a different passage, approach, or idea; 
  • Activities include not only posting but also reviewing and discussing responses.

Modalities

Students post to asynchronous forum. For review, I gather key examples into an editable shared document. We discuss synchronously or in-person during meeting times or share discussion asynchronously via brief video commentaries.

Formal graded assignment: Analysis #2, Connection

In “What Is Emotional Intelligence?” Helen Brown lists ten skills that Reuven Bar-On (Bar-On website link here) says help people develop and use emotional and social intelligence in everyday life. Based on your reading and personal experience, explain how and why you think emotional and social skills require that we combine listening and communication with skills such as self-reflection, self-regard, emotional awareness, assertiveness, and empathy. Why do emotional and social skills require more than just listening and communicating? In your analysis, draw on information from at least two of the reading/video assignments in our resources. Use MLA style to cite specific passages you discuss and to list sources at the end.

Goleman’s list of six skills contributing to emotional and social competencies: 1) Cultivate self-awareness; 2) Manage yourself, adapt; 3) Empathize; 4) Tune into others’ feelings; 5) Listen to feedback; 6) Create an emotional learning plan.

Bar-On’s ten components of emotionally and socially intelligent behaviors: 1) Self-regard 2) Emotional awareness 3) Assertiveness 4) Empathy 5) Interpersonal relationships 6) Stress tolerance 7) Impulse control 8) Reality testing 9) Flexibility 10) Problem solving

Resources

Brach, Tara. “Feeling Anxious? Here’s a Quick Tool to Center Your Soul.” Interview by Allison Aubrey, NPR Life Kit, 4 February 2020, https://www.npr.org/2020/02/03/802347757/a-conversation-with-tara-brach-mindfulness-tools-for-big-feelings. Text: NPR, Feeling Anxious RAIN

Brackett, M., S. Delaney and P. Salovey. “Emotional Intelligence.” Noba Textbook Series: Psychology, eds. R. Biswas-Diener and E. Diener, DEF Publishers, 2022, http://noba.to/xzvpfun7. Brackett, et al, Emotional intelligence

Brown, Helen. “What Is Emotional Intelligence?” Positive Psychology, 12 September 2021, https://positivepsychology.com/emotional-intelligence-eq/. Text: Brown, What is emotional intelligence

Cooper, Cary. “An Introduction to Happiness.” Understanding Happiness. TED Studies, https://www.ted.com/read/ted-studies/psychology. Text: Cooper, Understanding Happiness

Goleman, Dan. “Emotional Intelligence.” Interview by Mark Williamson. YouTube, uploaded by Action for Happiness, 25 November 2020, https://youtu.be/9ADA5LcNzIE.

Ohlin, Birgit. “7 Ways to Improve Communication in Relationships.” Positive Psychology, 7 January 2022, https://positivepsychology.com/communication-in-relationships/. Text: Ohlin, Communication in Relationships

Santos, Laurie. “Happiness Lessons.” Interview by Mark Williamson. YouTube, uploaded by Action for Happiness, 11 June 2020, https://youtu.be/iy1PgjsM4Qs.

Scharmer, Otto. “The Four Levels of Listening.” YouTube, uploaded by threefold consulting, 23 November 2015, https://youtu.be/eLfXpRkVZaI

Sutton, Jeremy. “15 Ways to Find Your Purpose of Life and Realize Your Meaning.” Positive Psychology, 12 July 2021, https://positivepsychology.com/find-your-purpose-of-life/. Text: Sutton, Find Your Purpose of Life and Realize Your Meaning

Refer to writing commons sections on formatting in-text and works cited lists in MLA style: 

Integrating Textual Evidence, Quoting, Paraphrasing, Summarizing, Quoting in MLA, Formatting the Works Cited Page (MLA), Downloadable Template for Essays; and organizing, opening, and closing essays: Organizing Ideas, Paragraphing, Introducing, Concluding

Forum: quoting

Format a brief passage in MLA style from Brackett, Brown, or Goleman describing one important aspect of emotional intelligence. Write explaining why, in your opinion, that one aspect of emotional intelligence is important. What are the uses of this skill? What makes it difficult to do well? OR Write describing an experience you had of witnessing someone effectively using that aspect of emotional intelligence in everyday life. What did the person do and say? What made this a good example of emotional intelligence, in your opinion?

Forum: expanding 

Post describing one example from your own experience (whether you were the person listening or being listened to) of Scharmer’s fourth level of generative listening, in which the listener hears, digests, connects, and envisions possibilities. Scharmer gives as an example a coach who by listening to us sees our future capabilities. Explain what you gained as a result of this experience of listening or being listened to. What shift, possibility, or insight came as a result of this generative listening?

Forum: connecting

Reply to one classmate’s post on generative listening explaining your perspective on what their example shows about how listening connects to emotional intelligence and why both are difficult to do well.

Student responses to forums are opportunities for intervention

Forum: quoting

Format a brief passage in MLA style from Brackett, Brown, or Goleman describing one important aspect of emotional intelligence. Write explaining why, in your opinion, that one aspect of emotional intelligence is important. What are the uses of this skill? What makes it difficult to do well? OR Write a paragraph describing an experience you had of witnessing someone effectively using that aspect of emotional intelligence in everyday life. What did the person do and say? What made this a good example of emotional intelligence, in your opinion?

This student below asked how to quote something quoted in the text of the reading. Other students begin practicing the format in their responses. It also sparked ongoing discussion of gut reactions and emotional intelligence.

RE: ✎Th 02/24 post two parts on emotional intelligence

In Helen Browns article “What is Emotional Intelligence” she says: “listening to your gut, as bodily intuition…emotional signals from our bodies provide a sort of intangible wisdom guiding us toward right decisions (Goleman qtd. in Brown).” This is significant to me because it speaks on the importance of gut feelings. An experience I’ve had that greatly relates to the concept of the quote was a time when my brother had informed me on a paid lecture he took. The doctor had gave him information on gut feelings and how in most to all cases your gut feeling is right because our gut contains bundles or nerves that connect to your brain. I listened to that advice and then applied it to myself in a psychology test last semester. Throughout the test I made sure I didn’t second guess myself, followed my gut feelings, and passed with a 96%.

This student below opened up discussion of how to select and format when cutting sections of longer quotes, using ellipses. We also noted why it is especially important to check spelling of names.

According to article “What Is Emotional Intelligence” by Hellen Browns, emphasizes with Margaret Andrews who while in an interview with Harvard Division of Continuing Education in 2019, she suggests that we should practices three important steps to have greater emotional quotient. Those steps are: 

• Recognize and name your emotions. Taking the time to notice and label your feelings can help you choose the best way to respond to situations.
  • Ask for feedback. Even though it might make you cringe, it’s helpful to get others’ viewpoints on your emotional intelligence. Ask people how they think you handle tricky situations and respond to the emotions of others.
  • Read literature. Reading books from someone else’s perspective could deepen your understanding of their inner worlds and boost social awareness in the process.

I agree with the suggestion to ask for feedback. We should ask our family or friends for feedback on our intelligence or emotional attitude. In this way, we can see what we are doing well and correct what we are doing wrong. In my case, I usually ask my closest friends for comments about me; I know that I’m not a perfect person and I can offend or hurt someone without realizing it. Although, it is difficult to admit our mistakes, taking into account the constructive comments from other people about oneself is something that we must pay close attention to and put into practice. I remember once I had a little argument with my dad. The next day I was talking to my grandmother about what had happened, I told her everything she had told my dad and asked her if what I had done was wrong. My grandmother said “Yes, you did it wrong” and she gave me some advice so that it doesn’t happen again. Honestly, I felt bad knowing that I could hurt my dad with my expressions, however, I took my grandmother’s advice into account and try no to let it happen again. I considered this to me having emotional intelligence.

This student below gave us opportunities to expand and unpack the challenging passage selected, which then sparked review of how to select and format short in-text versus long block passages.

In Helen Brown’s article “What Is Emotional Intelligence?” she says: “Ability measures and self-report measures [of EQ] have shown a weak correlation with each other, suggesting that they may capture different aspects of EQ” (Brackett & Mayer, 2003). I chose this sentence because I think it describes me. What Helen Brown’s trying to say in the sentence is that what other people say about you doesn’t have to be right and sometimes they don’t see what you see in yourself. a Lot of people think that I’m not a social person, maybe because I rarely talk to new people or try to get to know them. I don’t start conversations with them only if they start. I used to think about myself is that I’m a social person And I didn’t agree with them. but what I realized is that they are not wrong with what they think and I’m not wrong either because I’m a social person but with people that I feel comfortable with. I like to start conversations with people that if I smile at them they smile back and people that are open-minded. 

During discussion, we unpacked the complicated passage and created these approaches below to quoting in full or in part.

MLA long quote of 5 lines or more

In Helen Brown’s article “What Is Emotional Intelligence?” she says:

While more objective performance measures of EQ (Mayer & Salovey, 1997) have shown to be distinct from the Big Five personality traits of extraversion, openness, agreeableness, conscientiousness, and neuroticism, some self-report measures of EQ have shown greater crossover with personality measures (Brackett & Mayer, 2003). Ability measures and self-report measures have shown a weak correlation with each other, suggesting that they may capture different aspects of EQ (Brackett & Mayer, 2003).

MLA short quote of 4 lines or less

In Helen Brown’s article “What Is Emotional Intelligence?” she says, “more objective performance measures of EQ (Mayer & Salovey, 1997) have shown to be distinct from . . . extraversion, openness, agreeableness, conscientiousness, and neuroticism.”

Forum: expanding 

Drawing on examples from personal experience, these student responses below allow students to explore a variety of ways we use (and struggle with) listening and emotional intelligence in everyday life.

RE: ✎Th 03/03 post two parts on generative listening

I considered myself a bad listening person but the other day I put into practice generative listening and focus on my best friend’s situation and listen to her the reason that I say I’m bad at listening to others is that when I’m talking with my best friend most of the time I lose track of the conversation. The other day, we were face timing and she claimed me to let her speak. I noticed she was a little angry so I quieted myself, I started to listen to her and I felt she was very upset about why things are not coming out the way she thought with her because she wants to grow her family and have children, she is happily married but she is having difficulties getting pregnant as a result I get more motivated to listen and be empathetic with her because I know how important it is. at the end of the conversation, I can be capable of reasoning their needs, feelings and understand much better her thoughts in order to analyze and neutralize my emotions in the best way to give her my opinion or my advice. 

When my friend had run into relationship issues with his girlfriend he would come to me to reflect on what was going on. He would show me texts from their chat and paraphrase her words. He would ask me about my perspective on the situation. I usually spent hours listening to him talk about his perspective while also shedding light on hers while we both played video games. I tried my best to understand from an unbiased view and with whatever context was provided. I would connect to him by imagining what I would do if I was in his position and how it would make me feel. On a few occasions I wrote out a summary of what he should say to her and he would take the exact words and bring it to her. Early on I saw that the relationship would ultimately fail. While he drew closer to her she drifted away. I would hint to this early on and towards the end I would tell him directly. He would accept this reality but try to defend her actions but i knew that he saw that what i was saying was correct. In the end the she left him for a girl. We talked about it for a bit and I reflected on past texts or actions that hinted at what would happen. I would try to reinforce the idea that the way he is feeling now will not be the same in the future and this could only do as much damage as he would let it. I learned that sometimes people avoid the obvious outcome of their own situations to stay away from the pain that it may bring along with it.

My girlfriend is a good listener!! And you want to why because every time when I tell her that I need someone to talk to she be like “I’m here babe you could talk to me” and every time she tells me that it makes me feel special because I told her that back then I just to not have nobody to talk to that they will always be busy the people I ask to be there so she told me ” Listen babe don’t worry about them anymore I’m here now and that’s all that matters they only person you should talk to more is your mom and me. Because your mom is the one that will let you know what you need for life just like me babe”. 

For example my mom omg I really love that girl she is the best mother that anyone can ask for and don’t get me wrong my girlfriend too she is the best girlfriend I ever ask for they both are my “motivation” to keep on moving forward even me and my girlfriend have being going through stuff I always tell her that whatever we go through I’ll always gonna be there no matter what like we have our ups and downs but I’ll be there for lover her. And she is like my therapist because without me saying anything she already knows what is going on she be like” what is going on babe, is something wrong” and I be like how you know there’s something going on and she be like ” oh because I already know my boyfriend , he be going through stuff and I understand that and that’s why I’m here for I just want to be there whenever he needs to talk like for him to realize everything he have on his mind”. 

For my explanation:  What makes them both be a good listener!! Is that they only are fully present like when I need it they are already there for me like listening is a conscious activity based on 3 basic skills: attitude, attention, and adjustments. And those are the 3 skills they have and that’s what I like cause not all people have those skills.

Forum: connecting

Example of student formal graded analysis integrating forum contribution

#1

Emotional intelligence is a type of skill that allows people to be aware of, control and express one’s emotions as well as handle relationships with good judgment and empathy. It is more than just listening or speaking, it’s connecting emotionally. People use emotional intelligence so that they can connect to others on more meaningful levels in order to understand one another. I believe that sometimes emotional intelligence can be hard because our own desires can get in the way and distort our judgment.

In my own life, I have seen why emotional intelligence can be difficult. My best friend had been in a relationship with a girl for over two years and ran into relationship issues. He ignored the obvious signs that she was no longer interested. And instead decided to talk it over with me. she would do things like lose connection while calling, ask for space and not text him back on the phone. Unfortunately, He put his desire to be with her before his feelings and as a result, it clouded his judgment. In the end, she left him for a girl and as for my friend, he was left facing the reality of what became of his relationship. This was an example of how emotional intelligence can be hard because it shows an instance of someone who wanted to pursue a girl who didn’t want to be with him. He ignored his emotional awareness and self awareness in his pursuit of her and lost track of where things were going.

#2

Listening connects with emotional intelligence. It is the ability to hear beyond the words to understand the real meaning of what is being said. It is also one of the most powerful tools. We can also use empathic listening, when listening patiently to what the other person has to say, even if we don’t agree with it and show acceptance. Not everyone is a good listener. Starting with myself, I am not the best listener and if anyone asks my family members about me being a good listener, automatically their answers would be No, she’s not. An example to prove that was not too long ago one of my cousins had called on the phone and as we’re talking she then came up with a sensitive subject. Something was bothering her while she continued with the subject and I could sense her sadness the way she sounded on the phone. She says ” I don’t think I can go on in this difficult time, my husband passing away barely a year, leaving me with two kids to take care of. With all the responsibilities, things went so fast, he was so young. I don’t want to live anymore in this life.” I, on the other hand, interrupted her trying to give her advice, not thinking about her situation too much, as she was expressing her deep feelings. That didn’t end well as she got so upset simply because I didn’t take her feelings into consideration, therefore she ended the conversation. That got me thinking, how would I feel if someone didn’t take my own feelings into consideration and how would I react. 

I’ve come to realize how to practice generative listening.I am determined to become a better listener, setting aside one’s own preconceptions and being fully prepared to embrace the thinking and viewpoint of others. I should have done this in my conversation with my cousin. We need more people with emotional awareness and through this awareness, emotional intelligence is needed not only to better themselves as individuals, but to create a better, more understanding society overall.